The Citi ThankYou premier card $500 offer has expired. The new offer gives you $300 in gift cards. The Chase Sapphire card offer that gave $500 cash or $625 in travel rewards is still valid.
Looks like Citi is responding to the Chase Sapphire card offer that gave $500 cash or $625 in travel rewards with its new offer on Citi ThankYou Premier Card. So the new offer gives $500 in gift cards (there are plenty to choose from – Walmart, Home Depot, Sears, …) or enough for $665 in airfare. A healthy competition is always nice for the consumers This card has a $125 though (the first year annual fee was waived for Chase) but at least you don’t have to spend $3000 to get the points, you have to spend $2000 within the first 3 months of account opening to get the 50000 points. You can redeem the 50000 points for
- $500 in gift cards (Here are the links to Walmart Gift Cards and Home depot gift cards as examples)
- $665 in airfare with the ThankYou travel center (33% more value with this specific Citi Premier Card)
The new offer is only available through June 30, 2011 though.
Eligibility Criteria to get the Citi ThankYou Premier Card with 50000 points
- Open an account during this promotion (runs till June 30, 2011)
- Spend $2000 within 3 months of opening the account.
Review of the Citi ThankYou Premier Card
I used to love this card the benefits were awesome, but Citi watered down some of the benefits. But with this deal, it is one of the best promotional offers in the recent times. There are several good points to this card.
- It give points to every mile you fly, instead of every dollar you spend buying the tickets.
- Earn 1.2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent at gas stations, supermarkets, drugstores, commuter transportation and parking merchants. Earn 1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- 33% extra value for the points from this card to use with airline tickets
- No foreign transaction fee on purchases.
- No limits on earning points or expiration dates.
- 200 bonus points for signing up for online account access, 200 points for paperless statements, and a 1-5% bonus on your existing point balance on your annual card anniversary.
- Annual complimentary domestic companion ticket within the continental USA.
- 15% discount on air travel must be booked through Citi’s travel benefits provider, Spirit Incentives.
So the Citi Thankyou Premier Card worth it?
Taking the annual fee $125 into account, taking advantage of this promotion could net you $375 (at the least) to more than $500 (if you use it for airline tickets). BUT cancel it after getting the gift cards/airline ticket, it is not worth paying $125 every year and keep this card active (if you are in the market for a new loan – mortgage, car loan…sometime soon, please be aware that opening and closing too many new credit cards will affect your credit score, so proceed with that in mind). The perks are not stellar and not worth after the first year.
Citi Thankyou Preferred Card - If you want a no annual fee option
The $250 gift card offer has expired, now you get $200 in gift cards with the new offer.
With this card you get -
- $250 gift card – When you redeem the 26,000 bonus ThankYou; Points received after $1000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening.
- Earn 1 point for every $1 you spend on all purchases
- Receive an anniversary bonus every year you’re a cardmember
- No expiration and no limit on the points you can earn
- Redeem ThankYou Points for merchandise, travel rewards, gift cards, cash and more
- No annual fee
Citi ThankYou Preferred card usually give a bonus of 6000 points (or $50 gift card), so this new promotion is a great deal for a no annual fee card.