Welcome to Wealth Informatics! If this is your first time visiting the site, please start here.

Free appliances for low income families

Who gives free appliances for low income families? The Government does. It not only can help get you new appliances if you are in need, but can also pay the energy bills, I wrote about that in a different article here – Need help paying bills?. There are some restrictions on income and eligibility. If you qualify, you can get free appliances installed for you, your home weatherized and you can also get some help paying the electric bills. These programs assist with utility deposits and bill payments, conduct home weatherization, and repair or replace certain appliances.

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

LIHEAP is a Federally-funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills. LIHEAP can help you stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. By doing so, you can reduce the risk of health and safety problems (such as illness, fire, or eviction). The federal government does not provide energy assistance directly to the public. Instead, LIHEAP operates in the 50 States, the District of Columbia, Indian tribes or tribal organizations, and the U.S. territories.

How can I find out if I am eligible for the program?

The eligibility is mostly based on income. If you income is below a certain limit, for example 150% of federal poverty level – which means for a family of 4 your income is less than $33,525 you might be eligible. Each state has their own eligibility criteria and application process. I have included the links to the state specific programs and the income limit for each state here.

State LIHEAP Program link Income Eligibility – Income has to be below
AL Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs 150% of federal poverty level
AK Alaska Heating Assistance Program 150% and 225% of the poverty income guidelines
AZ Arizona Department of Economic Security 200% of federal poverty level
AR Arkansas Department of Human Services 150% of federal poverty level
CA California Department of Community Services and Development 200% of federal poverty guidelines
CO Colorado Department of Human Services 185% of the federal poverty level
CT Connecticut Energy Assistance Program 150% Federal Poverty Level ; 200% Federal Poverty Level (seniors and disabled)
DE Delaware Department of Health and Social Services 200% of federal poverty guidelines
FL Florida Department of Housing and Community Development 150% of federal poverty level
GA Georgia Heating Energy Assistance Team (H.E.A.T.) 60% State Median Income
HI Hawaii Department of Human Services 150% of federal poverty level
ID Community Action Partnership Association of Idaho (CAPAI) 60% State Median Income
IL Illinois Energy Assistance Community Action Agencies 150% of federal poverty level
IN Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority 150% of federal poverty level
IA Iowa Division of Human Rights 150% of federal poverty level
KS Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program 130% of federal poverty level
KY Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family services 130% of federal poverty level
LA Louisiana Housing Finance Agency 60% State Median Income
ME Maine State Housing Authority 228% Federal Poverty Level or 75% State Median Income
MD Maryland Department of Human Resources 175% of federal poverty level
MA Massachusetts Housing and development programs 60% State Median Income
MI Michigan Department of Human Services 110% of federal poverty level
MN Minnesota Office of energy security 50% State Median Income
MS Mississippi Department of Human Services 150% of federal poverty level
MO Missouri Department of Social Services 135% of federal poverty level
MT Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services 200% of federal poverty level
NE Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services 116% of federal poverty level
NV Nevada Division of welfare and supportive services (Click on the Energy assistance link at the top) 150% of federal poverty level
NH New Hampshire Office of Energy and Planning Fuel Assistance Program 200% of federal poverty level
NJ New Jersey Department of Community Affairs 200% of federal poverty level
NM New Mexico Human Services Department 150% of federal poverty level
NY New York Office of temporary and disability assistance 150% of federal poverty level
NC North Carolina Division of Social Services 110% of federal poverty level
ND North Dakota Department of Human Services 60% State Median Income
OH Ohio Department of Development 200% of federal poverty level
OK Oklahoma Department of Human Services 130% of federal poverty level
OR Oregon Housing and Community Services 60% State Median Income
PA Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare 160% of federal poverty level
RI Rhode Island Office of Energy Resources 60% State Median Income
SC South Carolina Office of Economic Opportunity 150% of federal poverty level
SD South Dakota Department of Social Services 200% of federal poverty level
TN Tennessee Department of Human Services 200% of federal poverty level
TX Texas Department of Housing and community affairs 200% of federal poverty level
UT Utah State Energy Assistance & Lifeline 150% of federal poverty level
VT Vermont Department for Children & Families 185% of federal poverty level
VA Virginia Department of Social Services 130% of federal poverty level
WA Washington state LIHEAP 125% of federal poverty level
WV West Virginia Health & Human Resources 130% of federal poverty level
WI Wisconsin Division of Energy Services 60% State Median Income
WY Wyoming Department of Family Services 60% State Median Income

What do I Need to Provide When Applying

To apply for LIHEAP, you will need to provide the all/some of the following (based on the program):

  • Recent copies of your utility bills
  • A recent payroll stub or other proof that shows your current income
  • Proof of any other income you receive, such as Social Security, Unemployment Insurance, Pension Funds, or disability.
  • A notice of final utility termination (if you’ve received a shut-off notice from your energy company)
  • Proof of your current address, such as a lease, deed, or property tax bill
  • Proof of total members living in your household, such as birth certificates or school records
  • Social Security cards or numbers for all people living in your home
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence

I don’t qualify for any of these or I can’t use these for some reason, what are my options?

All the programs receive limited funding, so if you apply late or if too many people apply you might be put in the waiting list. If that is the case or you are not eligible for these programs, you best bet would be your local church or charity. Contact your local Habitat for Humanity, sometimes they can provide free or low cost appliances for people in need. Subscribe to your local freecycle or Craigslist and request the appliance you need, people will contact you if they have one available. Salvation army or goodwill or any thrift store will also have cheap appliances.

Winter is not too far away and most of the heating programs take application in the early winter months. So apply early, stay safe and stay warm!

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Kay Mattingly

Kay Mattingly is my mother she has a fixed income. Her trailer she lives in does not have a decent bathroom, kitchen or kithen sink, stove. Her furnace is bad and has been quoted $2500 for a new one. The plumbing is bad as well. I am not able to help in the amount she needs. Is there help out there?????


jaci waring

my house burned down and i lost everything i have replaced everything from the dump except what weatherization has done with out them i would be living in the cold but all my appliances were donated or found and fixed from the garbage my dryer is gone has been for a long time i havent been able to do laundry and i heep hauling home vaccums but they never work am looking for a old canister electrolux but we dont even have a store here for them i dont have any money for xmas because my refridigorator caught on fire so i had to by one because i couldnt find one of those either i done have any money for xmas now i am really tired of fighting can anyone help me do you have one that is sittting i the yard that works and wont catch on fire thank you for listeneing


janet respess

i ssi and receiveasmaall check my refrigerator has quit ,mykitchen stove does’nt work either.ineed help there is no outside income.janetrespess 131 dan taylor rd. washington,n.c. thanks


mary Radley

How do I obtain applications for these programs



Mary, click on the link for the state you live in. That should take you to the application form and other supporting documents you need to submit.


Lisa Caldwell

I am a single mother, that now has a family that has grown with my son and his grandbaby intow, I am looking for HVAC help for my double wide trailer to be updated to keep my grandbaby warm this winter and cool this summer, to keep him healthy. Any legal and legitmate help is appreciated for funding or information.



Lisa, Please go through the link provided based on the state you live. That should have all the information on eligibility, how to apply and who to contact. Good luck!


Lisa Korcek

I need to have my refrigerator replaced..it is very very old and I am on a limited income from my disability..is there a program that I can appeal to for assistance?



I need a new water heater last year the water heater pilot turns off, i live by myself and it gets to cold to go outside and turn on the water heater pilot, is there any help out there that i can get a new water heater.


gloria chromaik

i need of new gas water heater the water does get hot like it did it make the pipe shake when dishwasher go on it over 25 years old.i also need a subpump that go in a hole in my basement so it do flood form the rain living in oregon it rains alot fall and winter .the basement is were heater is .



My family and I just moved to Quincy, IL and the home we moved into does not have a stove, refrigerator, washer or dryer. There are 8 people in our household and between trying to make sure everyone is fed as well as gas to get to work and all of the bills, we can’t put the money back to get these appliances… What can I do?



im a single mothers of three little ones. i had a very nice home for them. my boyfriend an i broke up after a very bad fight. when he left he took the stove, refrigerator, kitchen table. he even took the dishes, micowave, an shower curtain. he pretty much left us with nothin. all my money is for bills an can not affort to start buyin all the stuff i have to replace. i am haveing trouble finding where to start to look for help. i know there has to be something out there to help me an my kids.


Norma M

I moved in an apartment which has no refrigerator nor stove can someone please help me find atleast a free gas stove here in El Paso Tx



need help getting a washer and dryer i m a single mom an not a lot of money please help anyone thanks


gina barrajas

single mom of 2 in need of refridgerator and washer used would be ok thank you


Debra Morris

I’m a disabled widow with a need for sometimes 24 hr care in my home I get some help but not enough to pay for care . to keep me from going to a home at the age of 56. I need a refrigerator so bad . and have had so many places promise help. And its now been 6 months . And I’m writing this to you in need yet. If there’s some place or one that can help or direct me . please feel free to contact me .



ACTUALLY…It’s not this simple…getting free appliances, that is.

For instance, our family cannot afford to buy or own a full-size capacity refrigerator in our home, so we are using a 3 cu. ft. portable refrigerator with only a few inches of useable interior space in the middle since food items near the back freeze and those near the front spoil due to inconsistent internal temperature.

We applied for this appliance program through a local agency and qualified but there’s a catch. YOU HAVE TO ALREADY HAVE A STANDARD-SIZE REFRIGERATOR OLDER THAN 1999 in order to be eligible to receive a free energy-efficient upgrade.

We decided to buy an old, used Montgomery Ward refrigerator from before 1999 which was in deplorable condition, but before our appointment to have it replaced, we noticed the refrigerator had a terrible roach infestation and had to remove it from our home. Moreover, the exterminator said that the infestation was so bad, it would be too difficult to eradicate before it spread throughout our home.

That was a loss of money to buy a used refrigerator at a thrift store and now we are back at Square 1 using the little counter-top fridge and having to grocery shop daily to have fresh food.





Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: